This simple software utility brings the benefits of a reading ruler to your computer desktop.
The software does not need to be installed - just "drag and drop" from the CD - and you can easily personalize the reading ruler's colour, size, and tracking bar style. The software includes full instructions that can be viewed when the ruler application is first started.
The virtual reading ruler appears on screen as a tinted rectangle that is always on top of all other windows and can be dragged around the screen using the mouse. When not required, it can be minimized to the task bar.
Like its physical counterpart, the virtual reading ruler is intended to provide a colour tint to reduce glare, improve reading comfort and fluency and assist with tracking and concentration.
Note: Even though it is transparent, it is not possible to interact with applications that are under the ruler. In other words it must be moved aside to enter text, click on hyperlinks, dialog box buttons, etc.
Because the virtual reading ruler does not need to be installed, it can be easily moved from computer to computer, on a CD or memory stick, and used immediately without altering the configuration of the computer; ideal for people who work on more than one computer, or on other people's computers.
Now you can quickly mitigate uncomfortable "black text on a white background" without having to worry about finding and changing application and Windows colour settings.
The controls on the Virtual Reading Ruler (shown to the left) provide;
- 12 pre-set colours of overlay (yellow, cream, orange, dark pink, light pink, aqua, light blue, neutral, lilac, purple, mint green and lime green)
- 5 pre-set sizes / shapes of ruler so you can optimise the ruler shape for the type of document you are reading, e.g. a long thin ruler for working with spreadsheets.
- 7 pre-set styles of tracking bar including 5 different thicknesses, a "letter box" style where only one line of text is visible at a time, and a double line style with lines above and below the target text.
- positioning of the tracking bar on the ruler surface.
- the adjustment controls can be hidden...
...and the ruler can be minimised when not required.
This is an education and personal use licence for 1-3 machines and is available for PC (Windows) and MAC.
A 4-10 user licence is available (��71.98 inc. VAT) together with an unlimited single site licence (��178.78 inc. VAT). Call 01394 671818 for details.
If you would prefer to apply a colour tint to the whole of your screen (with full control over the tint colour), or you want to be able to interact with application controls without moving the ruler to one side, then you may wish to consider ClaroView (SW069).