What can I do to help my dyslexic son who hates reading

Go to solution Solved by Honor,

Question

Hi everyone! I'm sure many people are struggling with this and home schooling, but my dyslexic son is really struggling to enjoy reading. His reading age is relatively low, but he wants to read engaging stories. Do you have any recommendations?  

4 answers to this question

• Solution

Hi Will, Its a good idea to try and home in on any area your son is particularly interested in, and find his reading level appropriate books to try and engage him.

There are several different reading schemes you can use, Barrington Stoke have a super range of reading age appropriate but with chronological age interest content, these might help.  Failing that its always worth trying to engage him by asking him to read road signs, food packets, recipes that he would like to make? 

No matter what age he is, please keep reading to him, he will still be learning an enormous amount from this and better still if he will follow the words in the book you are reading from.  Hope this helps?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Honor said:

Hi Will, Its a good idea to try and home in on any area your son is particularly interested in, and find his reading level appropriate books to try and engage him.

There are several different reading schemes you can use, Barrington Stoke have a super range of reading age appropriate but with chronological age interest content, these might help.  Failing that its always worth trying to engage him by asking him to read road signs, food packets, recipes that he would like to make? 

No matter what age he is, please keep reading to him, he will still be learning an enormous amount from this and better still if he will follow the words in the book you are reading from.  Hope this helps?

Thanks Honor - this is really useful! 

It is a really difficult issue, as readers who are reading below their chronological age are often embarrassed about reading. I would seek book comics cartoons that inspire their interest. Share the reading, you read they follow ask questions about the content, predict the next thing to happen. Keep the steps small and have breaks. Keep in mind for a dyslexic to read is similar to a wheel chair user climbing stairs (it is not easy) 

All reading is goodreading like the person set the subject matter.

There are many software extensions to web browsers – especially the cloud-based software. This assistive technology for dyslexia spell-checks words that regularly flummoxes MS Word and Google. Based on its AI-system it mimics a human solving a task. Digital technology provides greater and more flexible learning opportunities to everyone, regardless of their age, disability, or social demographic. The use of cloud technology has also ensured that this inclusivity also extends to those with special educational needs. Cloud-based applications and emerging technologies such as smart devices and artificial intelligence are the tools for improvement. Many providers have been using the cloud managed services for years. In this way assistive technology has quickly become a vital aid in workplaces and classrooms for dyslexia .