Englishtype Junior - MAC Version Download
Educational & Entertaining
- uses age relevant & useful vocabulary, particularly high frequency words
- no nonsense words or random letter strings that are frustrating, confusing and damaging to literacy skills
- Select from 4 levels of language difficulty
Teach your kids to type by touch – an essential life skill
Used at home and in school by thousands of children, Englishtype Junior teaches touch typing for kids: the fun way to learn to type. Primary age is the ideal time to teach touch typing for kids. We recommend Junior for teaching touch typing for kids up to 11 years old.
Englishtype uses unique colour coding to teach touch typing quickly. Learning key & finger relationships rapidly is the aim of any typing tutor. Englishtype’s exclusive design builds muscle memory quickly & efficiently (see in Learning to Type).
Boost literacy while learning to type
Unlike other software teaching touch typing for kids, Englishtype maximises additional literacy benefits at the same time as teaching typing with carefully chosen vocabulary. It’s great for all levels of ability: challenging the brightest whilst providing extra help for SEN children. The inclusive design and self directed learning mean children can work at the same time but at their own pace.
Special Needs friendly features including:
- multi-sensory design
- strong colour coding
- visually simple & uncluttered presentation style
- both spoken & written instructions
- choice of background screen colours
- highly structured content
Englishtype Junior teaches touch typing for kids with a variety of different activities, keeping motivation high:
- LESSONS – Main Lessons, Extra Practice and Numbers & Symbols
- GAMES – fun to play but no onscreen keyboard tests learning
- BOOSTER – exclusive exercises build muscle memory and boost speed
- TYPE TESTS & CERTIFICATES – win Certificates: Bronze, Silver or Gold medal
- SPELLING – special lessons: see, hear, read, type
- AWARDS – Trophies, rosettes & stars are rewards for achievements
- OUTFITS – have fun changing the look of Qwerty when you earn a new costume
- DIARY – record practice days and collect new stickers every day
Lessons are the core of the program – teaching which fingers are which colour and do which letters. Each Lesson level has 3 main sections, A, B and C: A sections are finger movements, B sections are words and C sections are phrases. Extra lessons D & E for additional practice, totals 5 sections per lesson. Bronze, silver & gold stars motivate progress. Key accuracy is shown at the end of every lesson, highlighting any keys that need a bit more work.
There are 6 games. After each Lesson level, a game unlocks – games are fun but test if you’ve learned the letters – there is no onscreen keyboard to help. Lessons and early games focus on accuracy only; it’s important to be accurate or you will never be quick. Later games need accuracy and speed.
Speed is introduced almost half way through the program with Booster, a new activity designed especially to build muscle memory very efficiently. Repeating high frequency pairs & patterns of letters and words will begin to increase speed. Learning patterns rather than individual letters is an important step in muscle memory.
There are also optional Spelling lessons for anyone who finds spelling tricky or wants extra practice. There are 5 different activities – all focus on relevant, high frequency words. The words are spoken, then disappear from the screen. Click to read & listen again if needed.
TypeTest & Certificates
Finally, there are two tests to check progress halfway through and at the end after lesson 12 for course completion. Getting a Gold medal on TypeTest2 means the muscle memory is working! View & print colourful certificates.